Sunday, September 2, 2007

First days in Perugia!!

Ciao!
It's 4:00 here on a Sunday afternoon, and I am sitting outside online!! Perugia... Italy... Umbra (my University)... they are all so beautiful! I don't even know where to begin. Traveling went off without a hitch, and I got to Perugia safely! We stayed in a hotel the first night, had dinner and went out for a drink, then woke up the next morning to move into our apartment!

Shout out to Hilaire Pickett - our apartment is at the PERFECT location! (Hilaire was here last fall, and I am in the same apartment as she is - right across the street from the best pizzaria in Perugia!)

My roommates - Lana, Lauren and Cathy - and I get along great, and have been navigating around this beautiful city for the past few days! Our apartment is one block off the main piazza and the famous "steps" - where everyone from Perugia meets before dinner, going out, or starting the day. We saw about 4 weddings there yesterday, and its lined with quaint bars, gelatarias and shops!

Tomorrow I start a week of intensive Italian classes, which will be great!! Everytime I go to talk to someone in Italian, I end up speaking Spanish. Wrong month... wrong country! A lot of things are the same, but a lot of things aren't! My roommate Cathy (she and I are really close) is fluent, so she is teaching us things as we go! After this week we are making our apartment Italian-only - we only speak English when we are on the phone! So coming and going, cleaning, getting ready cooking.... all in Italian! Cathy's mom is mailing us post-its (our personal favorite... they don't sell them in Italy!) to label everything in our apartment!! I have already learned a little bit, but everyday I seem to learn two or three new words/phrases!

Pictures are coming next... of my street, la Piazza Novembre, and my roommates!!

Miss you all! Emails and wallposts are always welcome! I opened Mail today and had a slew of them, and it was very comforting!!

Ciao!

No comments: