


After walking around this area and doing a little bit of shopping, we headed back to the hotel, showered and got dressed for a night out! We randomly ran into two other Umbra girls, and decided on dinner at Colores, (an amazing restaurant that was recommended to us by two very cute Romans on the street!) We had pasta amaticana – a traditional dish that is Rome is famous for – and delicious wine. We then walked around that neighborhood and decided to call it a night. It was the best decision we made all weekend, seeing as though the next day would be jam-packed…



We woke up Saturday morning (thanks to Lana’s persistence), and hopped on the bus to Vatican City. Walking into St. Peter’s Square was breathtaking, and one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had. The pictures do not do it justice, and I wish you all can experience the Vatican at some point in your life.
We walked right into the Vatican (breezing through the lines is worth getting up at 6:00!) and walked right up to the Cupola, the top of the Vatican. We opted to save 2 euro and took the stairs – something I recommend only for those who are in-shape! Once we got to the tip, we realized there were even more stairs to climb! The shaky legs were worth it – we then got a downward view into St. Peter’s Basilica, and a 360 view of Vatican City and the metropolis of Rome. I remember Lana and I standing there in awe for about five minutes, looking out over the entire city. We had seen almost everything in view the following day (by foot!), but from up there it looked so small.



After a Cupola photo shoot (can you blame us?!) we headed back down the stairs and into the Basilica. Looking at the paintings, the sculptures and the tomb of St. Peter was amazing, and that was just one part. I realized I could have spent hours in that large room alone, cornering off into four different alters, confessionals, tombs, frescos and fountains of holy water. I took rosary beads to be blessed, and had the pleasure of talking to a friar (did not catch his name) from Mortar, an island between the coasts of Italy and Africa. He told me all about the history of Mortar, how he learned English, where the Pope was, and what life is like in the Vatican. Well, maybe he didn’t offer ALL that information, but I was as inquisitive as he was talkative. We made a great pair, but I had to keep my tired and anxious travel buddies in mind :-)
...continued in "Quando a Roma... Part 3!"
No comments:
Post a Comment