Monday, September 24, 2007

Ischia, Pompei, Capri e Napoli... oh my! Part 2

Continued from previous post...

On the bus ride to the port, Regina told us of the scarrrry thieves and pick-pocketers in Napoli. She told us that these guys could “eat the American, Rome or Florence pick-pocketers for lunch.” After that scare tactic, we all decided to literally sit on top of our bags for an hour and wait for our ferry, opting to NOT walk into Napoli and explore. Our ferry finally came (after a wonderful ice cream treat with Cathy and Lindsey!) and we boarded it for a two-hour long ride to the island of Ischia, where we would be staying.
The ferry was almost exactly like the ferry that my mom and I took to/from Nantucket last summer for our mother/daughter day, so it brought back fun memories! We took pictures (duh!) all the way there. However, I did get a couple minutes of solitude with my iPod and a beautiful sunset in the distance. I had a few minutes by myself (something I don’t get much of here!) to reflect on where I was, what I was doing, who I was with, and how lucky I was to be experiencing all of this. I then made a promise to myself that I would try to soak it all up and jump at every opportunity that came my way! I don’t know if I would ever be back on an island get-a-way in the middle of the Mediterranean, so I had to try my hardest to enjoy every minute of it!
When we finally got into Ischia, we were all VERY anxious to get to our hotel! We had heard good things, but NOTHING could prepare us for what was in store. We bused to the top of the island, and got out. We walked in, and found ourselves in the middle of a four-star resort. While waiting for our keys, we watched a video that advertised the resort’s beauty spa, chocolate massages, four pools, and private villas. We were sure that the group of 40 Americans wouldn’t be able to enjoy all those perks, but we were partially wrong. Our rooms were then called – Lauren and Lana were in Camera 126 and Cathy and I were in Camera 806. We told the concierge we were in 806, and he smiled and asked one of the maids to escort us there (at least that’s what I think he said, it was all in Italian.) She might as well have given us a tour of the hotel because we walked through almost everything to get there. She then walked back to our very own, private villa!
Camera 806 had its own walkway, sign directions throughout the hotel’s grounds, our own patio, and our own entrance to the indoor/spa pool! And – we had slippers waiting in the room for us! We thought it was standard at the hotel, but after asking everyone else we found that we were one of the only rooms that had that perk! Yea us! We then met the rest of the group for dinner – a fabulous, five-course meal complete with much-anticipated seafood! Our meal included shrimp cocktail and the white fish of the day – so yummy! We then retreated to our rooms and tried to catch some sleep before a busy busy day on Saturday!

No comments: