Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Under the Tuscan sun and swimming in the Almafi!

So in twenty-four hours I saw the Tuscan hillside, the historic city of Florence and hiked along and swam in the Almafi coast. Pretty awesome! Thought I would share a few pics for those who have yet to stalk the Facebook albums!
This is a shot from my class field trip on Friday in Tuscany. We went to an organic farm, and yes I ate an olive off a tree, pet the cows, tried homemade yogurt and drank organic apple juice! We had a cheese tasting, a tour of the farm and got to meet the owner, who was very interested in 24 Americans touring his farm! It was a really fun morning and we all enjoyed it, and got a few good laughs!











Next we went to a private villa where we had cooking classes! We slaved over gnocci, tiramisu, ravoili and bruschetta just long enough to deserve a three hour, under-the-tuscan sun lunch! The food (which we made!) was fabulous, and I was lucky enough to get to bring the recipes home! Larissa - my fellow Discovery-er! - and I have already planned to cook the meal for my roommates in a few weeks!



Cinque Terra is going to be one of my favorite places in Italy. It's made up of five towns (this is the fourth) that line the Almafi coast. There is a walking trail between all five, and until 100 years ago it was the only way to travel the five villages. All of them are colored in the same way (think Rainbow Row in Charleston, SC!) and are absolutely breathtaking! The hike was hard (correction: harder than I expected!) and was about six hours long! We stopped to take pictures... a lot... resulting in me taking over 330 of them!


The best part about embarking on a six-hour hike was the village at the end! We spent about an hour swimming at the beach in Monterossa, the last of the five towns. The water was so blue, so clear, and luckily warm enough to go swimming! Although we had to sneak into a changing stall on a private beach (the lifeguard actually walked in on Lana changing!), it was a very relaxing end to our very long hike!

No comments: