Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A typical day in Perugia


"Just another day in paradise!"
I cannot help but to hum that song while walking around town today. It's about 77 degrees (thank you, weather.com!) with a slight breeze and sunshine all day! I facebooked/emailed this morning, had my hour of Italian, and headed to the market with Lana to pick up food for our due-appartamento dinner tonight! The market (mercado!) is open every morning til 1:00, and has one floor of clothing/bags/accessories, one floor of meats and dry goods, and one of produce. We have made friends with a man who runs his own vegetable stand, and go there at least twice a week. When we come around the corner he says "Ciao ciao americanas!" every time. We bought fruit for our fruit salad and vegetables for our salad tonight (shopping and cooking for 9 in hard!)

After a short spell of homesickness (thank you to all of those who were aware and emailed/called/wrote me :-) I feel as though I am adjusting. I spoke to Sylvia (complicated... she's my aunt's cousin) who lives in Florence about staying with her this weekend. I have a class trip for my Food class on Friday in FLorence, I am staying the night with her Friday night, then meeting the girls in Cinque Terra on Saturday morning! We have yet to get a hostel/hotel, but we are going to just show up and hope to get something! Cinque Terra is something I have been wanting to do (thank you, Kathryn Beeler!) since this summer, and I am excited to be going with Kate, Madelene and Vanessa this weekend!

Another highlight of the day... was a phonecall from Croatia! Uncle Tom called me from Zagreb while I was at the market! It was great to hear from family, especially to learn that I will have somewhere to go for Thanksgiving! Pending Umbra closing, Cathy and I will be in Croatia (Zagreb, the capitol) from November 21-24th, to celebrate Thanksgiving with Tom, Sylvia, Alex, Valerie and Patrick - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a lot of Favrets!

This will probably be the last blog of the week... so look forward to pictures from a short spell in Florence and a weekend hike in Cinque Terra! Ciao!

No comments: